Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Writing Myself Into Happiness

I'm recuperating.

That is what I call it when I lie in bed for 3 straight hours doing absolutely nothing.

No, really.

I am recharging after yesterday.

Yesterday. The longest day I have had in ages. The most exhausted I have been in ages. The most aggravatingly frustrated I have been in ages. The fuzziest my brain has been in ages. The least amount of time and attention I have put into a college English paper in... ever.

So today I am giving myself a break, and tomorrow I will faithfully return my nose to the grindstone.

And it turns out a break means allowing myself to just lie in bed and eat as many mini chocolate donuts straight from the bag as I want. It means allowing myself to daydream of spring break, because really, 4 weeks ain't that many. It means allowing myself to not pay attention to my cell phone. It might even mean allowing myself to take time for a run.

In short, it means allowing myself to take a break from unhappy.

"I think and think and think, I‘ve thought myself out of happiness one million times, but never once into it." -Jonathan Safran Foer

2 comments:

Jen said...

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted. Don't remember who said that, but I think its great. You need a break for sure.

Amanda Gates said...

there is nothing better than doing nothing!!!