Monday, February 1, 2010

Girl, Don't You Lose Your Heart Yet

"...but one of the mixed blessings of being twenty and twenty-one and even twenty-three is the conviction that nothing like this, all evidence to the contrary notwithstanding, has ever happened to anyone before... Nothing was irrevocable; everything was within reach. Just around every corner lay something curious and interesting, something I had never before seen or done or known about...I could make promises to myself and to other people and there would be all the time in the world to keep them. I could stay up all night and make mistakes, and none of it would count."

--Joan Didion

2 comments:

Sandy said...

you're reading joan didion now?! i love joan didion! what is this quote from?

karajean said...

It is from her essay "Goodbye to All That" which I read for my writing class and absolutely loved! I don't know anything else she has written though.