Monday, February 22, 2010

A Reminder That Nothing Happens By Accident

I held my brown lunch bag awkwardly in my hands. I shuffled uncomfortably from my place in the center of the cafeteria. I looked around, attempting to achieve the nonchalant looking of someone scanning the crowd for her friends, rather than the desperate look of someone realizing she has no friends to sit with.

{Kara Durkin, "Just Lunch"}

Stupid title I know, but I am terrible at titling my papers, which is a shame, because I love titling my silly blog posts.



Tomorrow morning I turn in my first major writing assignment for my creative nonfiction class. I am happy with the way the paper turned out, but I cannot wait to get rid of it so I can stop thinking about it. While I was writing my first draft it somehow morphed from what it was supposed to be and turned in to something I didn't want to spend any time with. After a bit more struggling I turned it back in to a paper focusing on something I cared about, but after all of this struggling I am tired and ready to send this baby packing. I've had enough.

That being said, I am already looking forward to the next assignment. I really do love this class.

That being said, I take back anything I may have said about this being my favorite class. Actually, I'm not sure I ever used the word favorite here, but I definitely have in conversation. And I would like to take this opportunity to officially change my mind.

After today's institute class, I realized that Book of Mormon with Brother Calton is my absolute favorite class. It is without a doubt the 100 minutes on campus I look forward to the most, I enjoy the most, I prepare for the most, and I use in my daily life the most, and that helps me the most when things get rough, as they invariably do for everyone, especially someone as emotional as I am.

I even managed to avoid my habitual Sunday night collapse last night as I studied for this morning's class.

I don't think that was a coincidence.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

book of mormon is hands-down my favorite, too. it's one of the things i'll remember most from sophomore year, for sure. and i'm glad we get to have it together!!

karajean said...

I am glad you agree :)