Thursday, December 31, 2009

Sincerely, Sorely Disappointed

"She had always spent her life waiting for something: for her father to come back from work, for the letter from a lover that never arrived, for her end-of-the-year exams, for the train, the bus, the phone call, the holiday, the end of the holidays. Now she was going to have to wait for death, which had made an appointment with her."

"It was precisely because she found everything so stupid that she had ended up accepting what life naturally imposed on her. In adolescence she thought it was too early to choose; now, in young adulthood, she was convinced it was too late to change."

"She would consider each day a miracle - which indeed it is, when you consider the number of unexpected things that could happen in each second of our fragile existences."

Veronika Decides To Die -Paulo Coelho



I think New Years Eve might be my least favorite holiday. It is the only one, in my opinion, that is nearly always a let down. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of New Years Eve, and I always get excited for it, which is precisely the reason I have come to dislike it so much. Why should the fact that I don't have someone to kiss tonight bother me more than the fact that I didn't have someone to kiss last night, and I won't have someone to kiss tomorrow? Sandy reckons that if I stop assuming everyone is out at a party and acknowledge the fact that the rest of the world is sitting on the couch watching TV in their pajamas and drinking sparkling cider just like I am I will appreciate the holiday a lot more. And maybe she's right. Perhaps if I lower my expectations of the day it won't always be such a disappointment.

I just haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Until next year,
karajean

P.S.

Good Riddance 2009. You were the worst.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I love that passage more than anything. I am definitely going to read that book now. Good call on 2009 being the worst...

karajean said...

It is definitely an interesting read. Not what I expected. But it goes pretty quick and is worth a couple of days of your time! I really enjoyed it.