Friday, December 25, 2009

Embarrassment of Riches

If you are as lucky as I am, then you probably got to spend Christmas with people you love.

And Santa may have even recognized the {difficult?} year you had, bringing you something totally awesome. In my case, I was thrilled to find not one, but two books with my name on them under the tree this year. I told my friend how fortunate I was and received this response: “A book? Were you bad this year? I’d take the coal.

Hardly. Santa knows me all too well. If I was meant to be punished, it certainly would not be in the form of a book.

And, as it turns out, my parents also know me all too well. I just think they like to take credit for my “big” gifts, which is why my new cell phone had their names on the outside, not Santa’s.

They’re thinkers.

So if you are as lucky as I am, you might have spent the entire day in your pajamas reading, dozing, eating Christmas cookies, listening to the Glee soundtrack, and talking to your friends on your fabulous new toy. Or you know, doing something that sounds equally as appealing to you.

If you are a little luckier than I am, then you probably didn’t have to spend Christmas with freezing feet, a sore throat, and a stuffy nose.

But we all have to be humbled somehow. It’s the only thing grounding me in this embarrassment of riches.

It’s a tradeoff I’m more than okay with.


Merry Christmas!

No comments: