Tuesday, March 2, 2010

This One is About My Future

I have been thinking a lot about the future.

In other words, I have been thinking too much about the future.

I met with my counselor on Friday and he let me know that I am not completely on track, credit wise. I will either have to take 3 English classes during the next 2 summers, or I will have to delay graduation by one semester, graduating in December 2012 instead of May.

My first thought was: this sucks. Either way my scholarship is going to run out, and I’ll be funding these last 9 credits on my own.

My second thought was: summer school. Obviously. I need to get out of here as quickly as possible. All of my friends are graduating in May. I am not going to be one of those students who can’t graduate in 4 years. How pathetic!

My third thought was: wait a second. Why do I need to get out of here as soon as possible? Do I really want to be teaching high school in 2 years? 2 years goes by fast. I am not ready to be a real adult and enter the real world. Not even close. Plus, I don't want to burn myself out with school all year long. That's a recipe for disaster.

My fourth thought was: delay graduation a semester. Definitely.

My fifth thought was: but what if something happens in the next 2 years that makes me want to finish school as quickly as possible? What if I am {gasp!} married?

Which brings me to my sixth thought: But what if I’m not. I probably won’t be. I’ll probably want to stay in school as long as possible, just like Sandy told me. I don’t want to be a real person yet.

As you can tell, I have a lot of thoughts.

And they just keep coming.

And the one thought that keeps reappearing: It would just be so much simpler if I could see the path in front of me.

But alas, I can’t. I’m going to have to make this decision without all of the information.

And I’m leaning towards delayed graduation.

For now, at least.

1 comment:

Kayla said...

Love this. Because I know exactly how you feel about not being able to see very far ahead. It's so hard to know what to do sometimes; I feel like I'm stumbling around in fog, unable to see more than a few feet in front of me. Good luck deciding what to do!