Monday, March 15, 2010

About Going and Returning and Urban Sprawl

There's something about leaving. And there's something about coming home.

It's no secret I like to go. When I was in high school I dreamed of going away, far far away, for school. When I went to Tucson I spent most of my time going to Phoenix. Now that I am home I look forward to the weekends I can steal away to Tucson. I have spent my entire life wanting to study abroad, to go as many places as possible. I have a playlist on my ipod titled "about leaving." I listened to it on the plane out of Phoenix. I listen to it when I get restless. I listen to it when I long to leave.

I like to go.

It has surprised me in recent years just how much I love to come home. My escapes from Tucson were more about coming home than they were about leaving where I was. Even on my mini trip to Tucson last month I found myself breathing a heavy sigh of relief as I sped home early the next Saturday morning. I listened to my "about leaving" playlist, all the while thinking I should have one titled "about returning." It was a shame to have to leave Michigan today, because I had such a good time, but as the airplane started its descent tonight and I looked out the window, my breathe caught slightly in my chest. The lights of Phoenix spilled out in front of me, stretching impossibly far. Urban sprawl at its finest. It turns out urban sprawl is kind of beautiful from thousands of feet up after the sun has set. Phoenix is home.

And I like to come home.

But, in less than 6 hours I am going, again.

And I'm excited.

Just like I will be when I come home again on Thursday.

Going and returning. I could get used to this.

1 comment:

Jen said...

This is so well written. And I love it because that is my favorite part of planes rides home. I hope you're having a wonderful break!