Sunday, March 7, 2010

Let's Play a Memory Game

Do you remember when The Ex and I dated for a year and a half?

{Check.}

Do you remember when he left on his mission 4 days ago?

{Check.}

Do you remember when I got caught off guard and found myself on a date with his best friend last night?

{Wait…what?!?!?!}

Um…yeah…I’m not really sure what was going on either. I made sure to ask, before dinner even arrived, and the answer I received was not very satisfactory.

I was talking to a couple of people at work yesterday and they said if I didn’t want to go I should have just said “No thanks. I’m not interested.”

But I’ve always been taught that if a guy has enough courage or whatever to ask a girl on a date the girl should have enough courtesy to say yes, to give the guy a chance at least once.

I kind of disagree. Sometimes I say no. And most of the time {read: all of the time} the first date does not change my mind in the slightest because I can tell fairly early on whether or not I am going to like a guy. {I usually feel it in the form of a very real, very painful stomach ache. It is one of my favorite feelings in the world. }

I was having this very conversation with “the boy” the other day and I remarked:

I think you underestimate how much I detest dating.

To which he replied:

I just don’t think that you give dates the opportunities that they deserve…

I can see where he is coming from, but I still think he is wrong. I’m convinced I don’t need any of this “date” business. **

But, let’s get back to last night.

I said yes.

Because I am terrible at saying no.

And how was the evening, you ask?

Well, for starters it was not ¼ as good as ward softball on Friday. And my favorite part of last night was when I was finally dropped off and I got to change into my pajamas, eat a Cinnabon, watch What Not to Wear, and have a lovely text conversation with a certain someone.

Do you remember that I’m pathetic?

{Check.}

**A side note: one time at a church activity centered on dating some guy had the audacity to suggest that not only is the girl obligated to say yes to a first date, but a second one as well, because people are “so nervous” on a first date that you don’t really get to know the other person. I vehemently disagreed in front of the room of 100+ people, making it public knowledge that I thought that philosophy was ridiculous. Some people laughed, but some of the guys looked at me incredulously, probably surprised that I would have the audacity to refuse a second date with a nice guy.

Oh well.

That’s just a few less dates I potentially have to avoid.

2 comments:

Kayla said...

Oh my heck. We're twins! hahaha I can't believe how similar we are, not to mention I had the exact same thing happen to me last night! Stomach ache, not being able to say no, changing into pajamas and watching movies being the best part of the night...exactly. I agree with the 2nd date thing too, if you know you'd have more fun at home and you're not interested, why should you have to say yes??

karajean said...

I finally has a cinnabon! More delicious that I would have imagined. It went like this, I came home from my date to find a box of them sitting on the counter! Apparently Dad bought them on a mall excursion w/ Toms, Michael, Will & Madi! Sounds like a mismatched shopping trip, no? Probably why a box of cinnabons were purchased.

And Kayle- I love how you and I can relate so perfectly to everything each other writes! It is great! And I am glad to know I am not some kind of freak who thinks sitting at home can be a fun way to spend the weekend :)