Saturday, March 6, 2010

confession #11

i can’t cook.

just kidding.

that’s not my confession.

i’d say it’s pretty common knowledge that when left to my own devices i am more than happy to live on a steady diet of ramen, pb & j, and lots and lots of assorted cereal.

recently, however, thanks to a conversation started by my dad and ended by random people i have been asking, i have been thinking about learning how to cook, and about how it is something i might like to do.

{that’s the confession part of this, fyi.}

so i was talking to my mom, and she mentioned that she wouldn’t mind if i made dinner for the family once a week. and i figured since i’m living here rent free and all, and since she will be paying for the groceries i buy, it’s the least i can do.

i started last night.

i planned to make mexican lasagna and fried empanadas.

what i actually made was mexican lasagna and queso dip.

the empanadas were an epic fail.

{i guess that’s another part of the confession.}

i’m very new to this cooking thing, so there’s a lot i didn’t know. for example, who would have thought that scallions and green onions are the same thing! go figure.

i started dinner at 4.

i had my little brother take a picture of me at 4:15.


the red onion thing was not a surprise to me, because i experience it every time i make guacamole {all 5 times i ever have…} but it was still ridiculous. i cooked the rest of the meal with the biggest raccoon eyes of my life, because my hands were covered with onions and pepper juice and i was afraid to get them near my eyeballs.

i told you, i’m new at this.

dinner was ready by 5:35, improvised queso dip and all.

and it was pretty good.

and i think i kind of like cooking.

{that’s the biggest confession of all. please don’t tell anyone.}

3 comments:

Jen said...

This is hilarious. I enjoyed reading this so much!

Amanda Gates said...

haha i loved this post!!! how'd you make your queso dip?!?!

karajean said...

melted cheese + salsa... haha not super creative!