Friday, August 21, 2009

“Remember on Lost, When They Met ‘The Others’?”

I had some errands to attend to on campus today.

ASU’s campus.

The other campus.

The place was teeming with helpful volunteers and parents and students.

The other students, I couldn’t help but think, as I watched them rush about in their maroon and gold t-shirts.

They are Sun Devils, I mused, as I walked by.

They are Sun Devils and they are walking around campus and not receiving dirty looks from incensed Wildcats.

But then again, I am a Sun Devil too.

I don’t feel like a Sun Devil yet, but I was definitely mistaken for one when a tired and sweaty mother and daughter asked me for directions to the book store.

And I definitely passed for one when I confidently gave them directions and stated “You can’t miss it!” Like I had not been hoping I was headed in the right direction a mere 30 minutes before.

So I don’t feel like a Sun Devil, but I don’t feel like a Wildcat either.

I am in a weird, mascot-less limbo.

It’s not too terrible of a position to be in. I’m sure Sparky will win my allegiance sooner or later, most likely at the first sporting event I attend.

Provided we win.

We.

The Sun Devils.

See, I’m swaying already.

Anyway, as I was walking around melting in the heat, I couldn’t help but think; I’m not ready for this.

And then I thought; But it’s not like I have any other choice.

I followed my heart. My heart led me here. Here to ASU. And now here is demanding that I am sitting in class at 9:40 am on Monday morning.

So ready or not, here I come.


So long, sweet summer.

No comments: