Thursday, January 21, 2010

Tell It Slant

I think I’m in love.

I know it sounds premature, but I simply cannot help myself.

After two very short days, I am in love with my ENG 217 class.

The unofficial title of the class is Writing Reflective Essays.

Last night we had our first homework assignment. I was genuinely excited about it all day.

I rushed home from work, sat down at my laptop, and didn’t move until I was finished.

I wrote 2 pages, single spaced, and then forced myself to stop. Today in class the professor told us we should have aimed for 1 page, double spaced.

Yep. I am that incredibly annoying overachiever. I was almost embarrassed to turn my homework in.

I read the introduction and the first chapter of the book, and I was enthralled. I wanted to keep reading.

I wanted to keep reading my textbook.

I know.

The introduction opened with an Emily Dickinson quote {whom I am not particularly fond of} and it was hook, line, and sinker.

Tell all the Truth but tell it Slant
Success in Circuit lies…


As I read the book I came to realize that this class is what I am all about. I have always known I wanted to be a writer, and I always just assumed I would write novels. But in reality, I don’t write very much fiction. I write in my journal. I write in this blog. I write about myself, about my life, about people I know. I write these things almost compulsively. And I love it.

So maybe, just maybe, I want to write Creative Nonfiction?

{Insert lame joke about an oxymoron here.}

I enjoy writing the most when it is a personal experience. I love the idea of connecting with myself and others through representation and exploration of real events.

Am I boring you?

I’ll try to stop.

Last night I could not wait to write about “a scene out of your own life that was of utmost importance.”

It was great. {The experience, not necessarily my paper.}

I told "All the Truth"

But I "Told it Slant."

Just like Dickinson instructed.

I think this semester I am going to post some of my work on here.

And I’ll see what you guys think. {If you would be so kind as to oblige.}

And maybe soon I’ll start with my very first assignment.

I’ll give you a hint. It’s about a boy. And a motorcycle. And if you know me at all, I have probably already told you the story.

After all, the prompt did specify utmost importance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interested, confused, and wondering if I have the right motorcycle in mind.

karajean said...

I'll post the narrative once I get it back from my teacher so you can know for sure :)