Sunday, January 31, 2010

Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Mad at the World.

It is the last day of January.

I can tell because the sun is quick to set and slow to rise.

It is the last day of January.

I can tell because a mountain of homework looms on my horizon with no end in sight.

It is the last day of January.

I can tell because I turn the heat on in my car in the morning and the ac on in the afternoon.

It is the last day of January.

I can tell because I am already dreaming of spring. And spring makes me think of falling in love. Every year, without fail.

It is the last day of January.

I can tell because my stomach gets a knot in it when I realize that this year, just like every other, February will arrive despite all of my protests.

It is the last day of January.

I can tell because I spent this past week in a special kind of gloomy mood that I reserve specifically for the days I am mad at the world.

It is the last day of January.

I can tell because Valentine’s Day is practically upon us.

I can tell because my music has been a touch lonelier as of late.

I can tell because I am planning an escape to Tucson.

I can tell because my flair for the melodramatic is at full force once again.

I can tell because I’m not doing any of my homework but the stress has yet to settle into my chest like a bad cold I can't shake.

It is the last day of January.

I can tell because I have not been the friend I told him I would be.

It is the last day of January.

I can tell because I am looking toward the future, desperate to escape the stifling claustrophobia of the present.

It is the last day of January.

2 comments:

Kayla said...

This is fabulous...in a gonna-be-a-good-story-when-you're-older way. The awkward moments are what make life colorful, don't you think?

karajean said...

Haha I totally agree! And makes for great writing material!