Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Salinger Needn't Worry

I am literally sitting here watching the minutes on my clock tick by. My chair is uncomfortable. My right foot is smashed up against the desk. I would be writing this in bed but Jeeves’s battery is dying. The day is almost over but I am not going to try to go to bed this early. Last night I was awake until 4 am because I went to sleep when I wasn’t tired. I actually have this other theory that I waited too long to go to sleep which is why I couldn’t, but I’m not sure if that makes sense. My right foot itches. I am full of cake. My headphones are only in my left ear. I am listening to the “Happy Thanksgiving Mix” I made for David last year. It is not hot or cold in my room. I have packed one suitcase and half of one box. My phone just went off. I do not have anything to do tonight. I have a Spanish listening final tomorrow but I have no idea how I would even begin to go about studying for that. Only 3 more days until I am practically done.

Holden Caulfield’s stream of consciousness was so much more interesting than this. I guess it has just been too long since I was an angsty 16-year-old. I was never as angsty as Holden Caulfield though. I don’t know many people who could hold a candle to him in that area. I would have hated him in real life but man did I fall in love with that character. He was so undeniably refreshing. Even if I couldn’t believe a single word he said.

Let me try again. I’ll try to channel some inner 19-year-old angst. Maybe it is just as good.

I just realized it is only Tuesday. I have been thinking it is Wednesday for a good 3 hours now. If that is not cause for bitterness and hatred I don’t know what is. Forget being unable to talk to the only person you have ever cared about, forget losing your childhood innocence; it is only Tuesday for crying out loud. Holden would have hated that.

Nope. It’s not working. Maybe I don’t have any angst left. Maybe I’m really not a teenager anymore. How sad. Plus, I took way too many pauses for that to be considered real stream of consciousness. I was genuinely disappointed to discover it is only Tuesday however.

My rabid audience is insisting I hurry up and publish this. My my it is exhausting to be wonderful.

Good Night.

No comments: